COVID-19 Response & Recovery for Child Care & Wellbeing
Our goal is to ensure that young children have quality, nurturing, and safe child care and education during the pandemic. For more information about this effort and the coalition behind it, please visit our web hub here.
If you have information, flyers, or events you would like to share in this publication please contact Laura@BrightBeginningsMC.org.
This Week’s Highlights
A few highlights from this last week are shared below. Previous Weekly Digests are available here.
Stay up-to-date and join the mailing list for the Bright Beginnings’ Weekly Recovery Coalition Digest, Maternal Mental Health Task Force, and the Bright Beginnings’ Quarterly Update here. It’s free!
Vaccines By the Numbers
84% of eligible Monterey County residents ages 5+ have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, as reported here by the Monterey County Health Department on May 31. Stay informed with the Monterey County COVID-19 portal.
- Interested in learning more about Universal Pre-Kindergarten in Monterey County? Family Child Care Educators and Family, Friends & Neighbors (FFN) are invited to attend an informational session on Thursday, June 2 from 6-7pm. Join via Zoom here, and check out the flyer here. Spanish translation will be available.
- ZERO TO THREE is currently seeking early and mid-career leaders for their 2022-24 Fellowship Class who reflect the diversity of the infant-family field and are passionate about advancing the well-being of young children and their families. Apply by Monday, June 13. Learn more here.
- First 5 Monterey County’s Collaborative Learning Group (CLG) will be on Tuesday, June 7 from 1pm-3pm. The Zoom link will be coming this week.
- Save the Date! Ciclovía is coming to Greenfield on Sunday, June 26 from 10am-2pm. A designated street in Greenfield will be transformed into a car-free community event allowing residents to run, walk, and bike, as well as learn about community resources. If you are interested in having a booth/table along the route, please contact email@example.com.
- The Children’s Partnership is hosting a webinar highlighting community health workers advancing child health equity this afternoon from 1pm-2pm. Join in for a conversation about the policy, its implementation, and its potential impact on children. Register here.
- Are you looking for a space for your organization to serve the community? The Santa Rita Union School District has space available at the Family Resource Center free of charge. See this flyer for more information.
- The California Testing Task Force released a K-12 School Testing Framework that outlines anticipated updates to COVID-19 testing strategies for the 2022-23 school year. For more information, please visit California’s Testing Task Force and/or Safe Schools Hub websites.
- First Five Association of California, the statewide membership organization for 58 First 5s, is hiring an Executive Director! Learn more and apply here.
- F5MC is seeking a full-time Senior Administrative Assistant to assist the Executive Director with a wide range of administrative duties and to provide event coordination support for assigned Program Staff as needed. Learn more and apply here.
- Is your program or agency interested in providing a COVID-19 vaccine location for children under 5 once available? If so, complete the CDPH request form to prepare for your pop-up event or mobile vaccine location when the time comes!
- Looking for summer or after school activities for your child? Monterey County InPlay Summer Activity Guide is now available with great opportunities for keeping your child active and engaged.
- Monterey Peninsula College is looking for feedback on how to use MPC Measure V Bond funding to improve infrastructure and facilities. Several advocates spoke in favor of allocating resources to an onsite childcare at the new Marina Education Center. If you are interested and able to send comments regarding the need or interest for a childcare center, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Learn and earn with the Hartnell paid apprenticeship program in Early Childhood Education. There is still time to sign up for the first year of this amazing opportunity! See the fliers here for information or contact Laura@brightbeginningsmc.org for more information.
- MPUSD is enrolling toddlers, Pre-K, TK, and Kindergarteners! Share these flyers with your community. Download the application here.
- Build capacity to support the quality of infant and toddler care in your programs and enhance the professional development of your teachers. Apply for the Program for Infant Toddler Care trainer certification by Monday, August 15.
- Calling all Monterey County licensed family child care educators and centers! Quality Matters Monterey has released the 2022-23 application for new Quality Matters sites. Join a community of ECE professionals and receive coaching, technical assistance, stipends, and resources to support your professional growth. Complete the application here or contact ECE Specialist Gelacio Gonzalez for more information. Applications are due Wednesday, June 15.
- There are additional funds available for materials, training, and fees associated with starting new and expanding child care programs in Monterey County! Contact Maria Ortiz at the Resource and Referral at 831-757-0775 for information.
- The Monterey County Preschool Service Corps (PSC) program is looking for new AmeriCorps members for the 2022-23 year to support language and literacy development in partnering preschools. Visit Monterey County’s United Way website or contact Taylor Jonte-Saiz at (831) 757-3206 x 204 for more information.
- Check out the Quality Matters calendar for future professional development opportunities available for ECE providers!
- Need to find a testing or vaccine clinic in Monterey County? Visit MontereyCountyVaccines.com or find your location in the bilingual flyers below:
Resources & Tools
It Takes a Coalition
The emergency response providing coordinated solutions for child care and education is led by a coalition of early childhood champions, united under the Bright Beginnings Strategic Framework to better support all young children and their families, to prepare every child for life and school. This coalition is ever-growing:
4th Monterey County Supervisorial District
30th California Assembly District
Building Healthy Communities
Carmel Unified School District
Child Care Planning Council
Child Development Centers and Continuing Development Incorporated
Early Development Services
First 5 Monterey County
Go Kids, Inc.
MAOF Resource & Referral & Alternative Payment Program
Monterey Peninsula Unified School District
Natividad Medical Center
North Monterey County Unified School District
Office of Education – Early Learning Program
Office of Education – Educational Services
Public Health Office
Quality Matters Monterey County
Salinas City Elementary School District
Social Services – Child Abuse Prevention Council
United Farmworkers Foundation
United Way of Monterey County
A special thanks to the coordinating team and major funders: Bright Beginnings Backbone, Child Care Planning Council, First 5 Monterey County, MAOF Resource & Referral, Quality Matters, and the United Way of Monterey County.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.